Apple Pie with Millet Crust
For whatever reason, just about any family tradition includes a good apple pie. Well, guess what, not all apple pies have to be considered junk food. A traditional apple pie will bring with it 237 calories per slice and 34 grams of carbohydrates. Here’s my gluten-free version to enjoy with no guilt at all. Mine will provide a simple 67 calories per slice and 10 carbohydrates, not to mention the array of vitamins and minerals that still remain.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1/4 Cup Pumpkin Seeds (sprouted seeds will provide more nutrition, just FYI)
2/3 Cup Millet, rinsed
1/2 Cup Apple Juice (if you have a juicer, put it to work. If not choose a juice with no added sugar)
1 teaspoon Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil
7 Medium Apples, grated with a grater or a food processor
1/8 teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Arrowroot (this is a natural thickener)
1/4 Cup Cranberries, halved
Fresh Mint Leaves for garnish
*Choosing organic for ALL the ingredients is best*
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. In a food processor or coffee grinder, coarsely grind the pumpkin seeds.
3. Combine the pumpkin seeds with the millet in a bowl. Place apple juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over the pumpkin seed/millet mixture and stir well.
4. Grease the pie dish with coconut oil and pour the mixture in, using a wooden spoon to push the mixture along the sides of your dish. This is your crust, so be sure to evenly spread the mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the grated apples, salt, cinnamon, and arrowroot. Mix these well and spoon the mixture into your pie crust, being sure to smooth the top.
6. Take the cranberry halves and organize them face down to cover the entire pie.
7. Cover the pie with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
8. Allow the pie to cool completely before slicing. Garnish with mint leaves adds that extra touch of flavor and nutrients.
In Peace, Love, and Health,
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @AditaLang on Instagram and hashtag it #NutritionalBrilliance
©Copyright 2022, Adita Lang
Adita Lang works with individuals and groups to maximize their health through exercise, nutrition, sleep, and happiness. Programs include Coaching, Speaking Events, and Corporate Wellness. Feel free to email me for more information: Info@AditaLang.com