Top 5 Workouts to Ignite your SuperPowers for an Incredible Day
Working out has always been labeled, by most, as a huge chore. We gave it this stigma because of the many fitness professionals, including myself, who would tell clients that they needed to workout 3-4 days a week for 60 minutes. Honestly, if they came back to me with 48 minutes, I was a tad bit disappointed.
Recently the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) came out to say that we really only needed 150 minutes per week, for novice, and 300 minutes per week, for the more advanced exerciser. That may sound like a lot, but my favorite part is that the minutes did not need to be consecutive, even better was the fact that they were pushing “activity”, as opposed to structured exercise.
Activity is anything that increases the heart rate and makes you sweat.
So guess what, house cleaning now counts and so does gardening, heavy lifting, and anything else your imagination may want to throw in there.
With that said, my ideal workouts have changed throughout the years. Many times I may even break it up to 3 or 4 short workouts or activities in my day, I simply keep adding up my minutes in a way that works with my schedule.
Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Dance and Drop – This one is a 30 minute cross training extravaganza. All you need is a good set of speakers and possibly a mat or fluffy carpet. I turn on my favorite tunes with a 30 minute timer. You start off dancing any which way that works; at the five minute mark, I grab a chair and do 15 squats and 15 standing knee raises. Then back to dancing for another 5 minutes, and then I move on to alternating lunges, 15 on each side and standing leg extensions. Back to the dancing – 5 minutes (of course, like no one is watching, have fun with it), now hit the ground for push-ups, on your knees or on your toes – the key here is perfect posture. One more set of dancing for 5 minutes, and take it back to the floor for crunches and stretching, and BAM…Your done!
2. Squats-Lunges-Pushups-Crunches and Repeat – I use this as my quick, I’m not in the mood, workout plan for the day. I also use this when I hit the streets for a good powerwalking workout. First and foremost, good shoes are a must, you want shoes designed for your activity, so if it’s walking, get some great walking shoes! I will do intervals of walking and combine that with one set of all 4 of those exercises 9mentioned above), or if I want to change it up, I will focus on one of the exercises, walk real fast for 5-10 minutes, then move on to the next one. The key is to fit it all in with whatever time you have available. This routine works for a 15 minute exercise bout or a 45 minute one – you choose. Here’s a workout to get you going https://youtu.be/M5USWcRuIfI
3. Pilates and Stretch – When life is a bit more challenged, a super hard workout may not be what the body calls for. During these days, I hit the mat and I go through an array of Pilates movements that use no equipment, Then, combine that with some great stretches using a towel, and you are done. Here’s a workout to get you going https://youtu.be/GGfcGSU4cFw
4. Muscle Builder – OK this one might not build huge muscles, but it will tone you better than you think. The key is good posture and lifting heavy things. Your typical can of beans is equivalent to ¼ pound, so placing 4 cans in a bag, and performing bicep curls with the bag, will have you lifting 1 pound. Fill up the bag, with as many cans as you can move, while maintaining perfect posture. You can easily go through a full body workout with all of the ingredients in your pantry.
5. Old School! – Jumping rope brings back many memories of fun with my BFF’s but guess what, it is an amazing workout. Turn on your favorite music and get to it. For those feeling a bit challenged in that area, no worries, jumping rope is all about practice and no matter how you move, that “practice” burns tons of calories. The objective is to do it over and over, once you get the hang of it, you will love it, and then of course there are tons of tricks to add in! A simple jump rope for starters can get you going, then if you’re really into it, invest in the ones with ball bearings and you are good to go.
Just remember, the more small workouts or activities you throw into your day, the more your metabolism is kicked on. This means additional calories burned doing your day to day activities. No need to feel guilty with a few small activity routines in your day, as opposed to forcing yourself into a huge one at the gym – Just Move!
Need some additional motivation, check out a few of my workout videos at https://www.twofitpros.com/p/superpower-workouts
With Peace, Love, and Health,
Don’t forget to SHARE this with all your peeps, we need to spread the love. Thank You!
©Copyright 2023, Adita Lang. Adita Lang works with individuals and groups to maximize their health through exercise and nutrition. She is available for Coaching and Public Speaking.
For questions or booking, please email her at info@AditaLang.com.
For recipes, lifestyle tips, and more visit her at www.AditaLang.com.