Vegetable and Beef Chili (review recipe for vegetarian option)AditaLang
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 small sweet peppers, diced
- ½ medium green bell pepper, diced
- ½ lb. ground beef, use 80/20 for best results (for a vegetarian option – one cup of cannellini beans and 1 cup of black beans -already cooked)
- ¼ jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 can (14.5-oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cup beef bone broth (for vegetarian option – substitute vegetable broth)
- 1 bay leaf
- Diced avocado
- Chopped red onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced jalapenos
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and heat until it shimmers. Add onion, celery, and bell peppers and toss to coat in the fat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables soften and the onions turn translucent 7-9 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring with a wood spoon to break into pieces, until the beef is no longer pink, 3-4 minutes. (for a vegetarian option – add beans now)
- Add jalapeno, garlic, tomato paste, spices (chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika), and salt. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon until the tomato paste is worked into the vegetables and the spices are toasted and very fragrant for 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and beef bone broth (or vegetable broth), then stir all ingredients together. Top with a bay leaf. Increase heat to high to bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 35-45 minutes until the chili is thick and the flavors have melded. Stir occasionally to prevent scalding. Taste for flavor and seasoning – simmer an additional 10 minutes, covered, if flavors have not fully developed, and/or adjust with additional salt as necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and top with your favorite garnishes. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @AditaLang on Instagram and hashtag it #NutritionalBrilliance
©Copyright 2022, Adita Lang
Adita Lang works with individuals and groups to maximize their health through exercise, nutrition, sleep, and happiness. Programs include Coaching, Speaking Events, and Corporate Wellness. Feel free to email me for more information: Info@AditaLang.com